Thursday 23 February 2012

A better explanation

Well as usual with Winston nothing runs quite a smoothly as planned. So Kevin, my mechanic took him yesterday to fit the coilovers. The rear ones went on sweet as a nut but the the front suspension has a worn bearing which means that if he was to fit the new coilovers, they would get damaged as I drove Winston.

To give you a better idea of what Kevin is doing to Winston I found this extremely detailed walk through of how to lower a X-series Falcon. Although the cars are not the process of lowering them is very similar and it also shows you another way of lowering your car. I chose coilovers rather than springs just because I knew that if I was to use springs the suspension struts would wear out a lot quicker. Springs are cheap and just as effective as coilover but if the rest of your car is not up taking the strain of stiffer suspension they may cause more harm than good. That is just may experience of them with my Fiat Punto from a while back.

Coilvers were a fairly substantial investment but as you can tell from Winston I am not build a car that will appeal to everyone. I am planning on keeping for a decent amount of time, to be fair out of all my cars I have probably owned Winston the longest I have had him for over a year now. The shortest I owned a car for was 2 months (my Fiat Cinqucento) and I broke that hitting a speed bump to hard. So may be lowering Winston might not have been my brightest of ideas but we shall see, he just need to be low 'n' slow.

No comments:

Post a Comment