Wednesday 18 January 2012

Finally got some antifreeze

After these recent cold snaps, I thought it would be a good idea to put in some antifreeze in my radiator. True to student style I have been just putting in water, which worked fine over this surprisingly mild winter.

Much like most of the tasks I undertake with Winston, I have never change my radiator fluid. So after consulting my current bible the Haynes manual for the VW Mk2 Golf I had a rough idea of what I needed to do. So I pulled the front end in to the garage and the fun began.

Surprisingly I found the right pipe fairly easily, I must be getting better at my amature mechanics. But in true Winston style the clip that was securing the pipe put up quite a fight. Getting in there with my grips and loosen that archaic clip, I mean this clip is so old even the cars in Cuba don't use it. I eventaly got that little bastard of without loosing all the skin on my knuckles.

Once the pipe came loose, Winston full on sprung a leak. If you have a keen eye for detail you will have spotted my rather sexy looking purple bucket and no that is not oil in there, that is the filthy water that poured out of Winston radiators. Once the water had been completely drained, I had the always fun task of reattaching the pipe and tackling my old enemy the clip. Putting the clip back was actually harder than taking it for, which to be fair did not surprise me. So to get that back on I had to blind side and attack from below, once the pipe was secured and the clip was in place all that was left to do was fill it back up. Then I put in 2 litres of Miller antifreeze and 2 litres of good old fashioned Yorkshire water. Bonnet down and job done.

No comments:

Post a Comment