Thursday 12 January 2012

MOT time

The time had come when Winston was to no longer rest easy on my drive. I wanted him on the road but no tax, no insurance and most importantly no MOT. So like any good petrol head, I have a mechanic.
So a quick phone call later and Winston was booked in for his MOT. Much like a nervous school kid, sat outside the head masters office wanting for the bad news. To be truthful it wasn't as bad as I expected, some new break pads and oh yes a new rear axle.

So where do you get a new rear axle for a car that is 25 years old? Ebay, the place where people sell their useless shit. It took a bit of searching but I eventually tracked one down, for a reasonable price. I mean who on earth would want to pay £120 for a crusty and rusty car part?

I had two choices, I had sourced one down in Devon for £50 but would cost me £40ish in delivery charges. The other was at Gadbury auto salvages just outside of Salford, for £50. A no brainier really, I was on my way to Gadbury.

Iwas like a kid in a sweet shop, in that scrap yard. So many different classic cars some I had never seen before. As I wondered through the stacks of cars I eventually came face to face with a rather grumpy looking scrap man. He was stripping the rear axle off a mk2 golf that had weeds growing from the wheel arches. So I asked him if he another, luckily he did. So I took that one and took it home to my mechanic and he fettled it up to scratch and Winston pasted his MOT.

No comments:

Post a Comment